Civics education means "education services provided to English language learners who are adults, including professionals with degrees and credentials in their native countries, that enables such adults to achieve competency in the English language and acquire the basic and more advanced skills needed to function effectively as parents, workers, and citizens in the United States. Such services shall include instruction in literacy and English language acquisition and instruction on the rights and responsibilities of citizenship and civic participation, and may include workforce training" (Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, Pub. L. 113-128, July 2014).
- Civics Education: Issue Brief
- Best Practices in Civics Education: A Case Study
- Civics Education: First Amendment Rights Lesson Plan
- Civics Education: First Amendment Rights Lesson Plan Reading A on Montgomery Bus Boycott
- Civics Education: First Amendment Rights Lesson Plan Reading B on Martin Luther King Jr.'s Use of Nonviolence Inspired by Gandhi
- Civics Education: Flint Water Crisis Lesson Plan
- Civics Education: Community Involvement as Social Change Integrated and Contextualized Learning Lesson
- Civics Education: Raising Public Awareness of Adult Basic Education Problem Based Learning Lesson
- Civics Education: Raising Public Awareness of Adult Basic Education Problem Based Learning Lesson Reading
- Civics Education: Sharing Our Expertise with Local Schools Project-Based Learning Lesson
- Civics Education: Annotated Instructional Resources and References
- Teaching the Skills That Matter: Civics Education in Action
This video shows the components for teaching a Civics Education lesson. You'll see Robert Lee teach a lesson about the Flint Michigan water crisis to intermediate and intermediate-high (NRS levels) English language learners in his distance learning class. Robert Lee is a Teaching Skills that Matter Coach in addition to being an ESL teacher and ESL Tutor Trainer with the Delaware County Literacy Council in Pennsylvania. In the video, you'll also hear from Betsy Parrish, an adult education subject matter expert and a TEFL/TESOL professor at Hamline University.
Download these tools in a single combined file: All TSTM Civics Education tab tools