The Technology-Based Coaching in Adult Education (TBCAE) project explored the use of text messaging to support adult education (AE) learners’ persistence and success in AE programs. Ten AE programs in four states participated in the TBCAE project. AE program staff sent individualized and personalized text messages to support AE learners’ retention in program services; development of foundational skills (e.g., reading, writing, numeracy, problem-solving); attainment of a postsecondary credential; and pursuit of further education, training, or employment. More than 400 AE learners participated in the project.
Resources for Practitioners and States
Technology-Based Coaching in Adult Education Toolkit
The TBCAE Toolkit is designed to assist adult education program administrators, program staff, and state staff in planning and implementing text messaging that supports adult education learners’ program participation and attainment of education outcomes The toolkit comprises of five main sections:
- Introduction to Toolkit and Overview of TBCAE Project: Overview of the TBCAE project approach and implementation and implementation and an overview of the tools, checklists, forms, and resources referenced in the Toolkit.
- Planning Text Messaging in Adult Education Programs: Descriptions of the steps staff can take in planning the use of text messaging with adult education learners.
- Implementing Text Messaging in Adult Education Programs: Information to help adult education staff; implement and track activities in using text messaging.
- Adult Education State Leadership Support for the Use of Text Messaging: Suggestions for state staff on how to support adult education program staff in using text messaging.
- Appendices: The tools, checklists, forms, and resources referenced in the Toolkit. The appendices are also available in Microsoft Word format to facilitate their use.
The TBCAE Toolkit is available in the LINCS Resource Collection.
The TBCAE Final Report was published on August 22, 2022.
Technology-Based Coaching in Adult Education is being conducted by Abt Associates under contract to the U.S. Department of Education (Contract No. ED-ESE-15-A-0005/91990019F0357: Increasing Student Retention through Technology-Based Coaching). For more information about the project, please contact the project’s Contracting Officer’s Representative, Melody Andrews.